Kiyochika 清親: Meguro Fudo Temple
Artist: Kobayashi Kiyochika 小林清親 (1847-1915)
Title: Meguro Fudo Temple
Series: One Hundred Views of Musashi Province 武蔵百景之内 (Musashi hyakkei no uchi)
Date: 1884 (Meiji 17)
We see visitors enjoying a relaxing summer visit to Meguro Fudo Temple, also known as Ryusenji. The two women in the foreground enjoy cups of tea, while their young companion, in a straw hat, walks along the path and seems to trail a stick in the small gutter. In the background we see the various temple buildings in deep vermilion, contrasting nicely against the surrounding cypress trees and green landscape. According to legend, the temple was built in the 9th century to enshrine a statue of Fudo Myo-o--the entire district of Meguro was actually named after this statue. Sadly, most of the buildings were destroyed by fire in 1978, although many have since been rebuilt. The only signs of westernization are the straw boater on the gentleman in the middle distance, and the two street lamps behind him. This series serves as a bold and innovative bridge between Hiroshige's 100 Views of Edo and and Hasui's views of Tokyo in the early 20th century.
Condition: Excellent color. Very good impression and condition.
Dimensions: ôban 35 x 24.3 cm
Publisher: Kobayashi Tetsujirô
Literature: Edo Tokyo Museum Website
Signature: Shinseirô Kiyochika